Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses/Why Do Witnesses Act Like Salesmen?

Question
Hello Andrew. I agree that the jws are a cult, but I don't understand the purpose of their aggressive recruiting. All their approaches are classic sales pitches. Like getting people to answer yes to questions, offering a free bible study to get their foot in the door and bringing back a more experienced jw to close the deal. So what's the end deal, I don't believe they care about saving but instead building their membership. Is that their ultimate goal?  I also seem to think that the governing body likes the power as the past presidents.

Thanks.  Kevin.

Answer
Dear Kevin,

The purpose of the aggressive recruiting of Jehovah's Witnesses is indeed to build their membership. But they believe that is what it takes to save lives, so the two are closely related, in their minds.

They believe that only Jehovah's Witnesses will survive when God supposedly brings wrath and annihilation to earth at Armageddon (and not necessarily all of them, even). So becoming a Witness, they believe, is an essential step toward being saved from such annihilation, and they sincerely want to save as many lives as they can.

The reason they use sales techniques is because they work. Their whole lives and traditions, for almost 150 years now, have been spent fine-tuning such recruiting techniques.

All humans are vulnerable to corruption through power. However, I think for the most part the Witnesses are sincere and mean well. If anyone in the organization is insincere about the connection between membership and their belief in saving lives, they are a tiny minority.

Insincerety and outright sociopathy are not their sins. Rather they are a lack of critical thinking skills, a willingness to accept human interpretations, a tendency to conflate concrete knowledge with intuitive knowledge, a willingness to put ideology ahead of compassion, a misdefinition of "love" and "spirituality", and the use of dishonest ends-justify-means recruiting practices.

How can sincere honest people use dishonest practices? Only in the presence of deeply convoluted mental gymnastics. Sadly, the Witnesses are the most mentally gymnastic people you are likely to ever meet. Unless one has studied how cult mind works, it is nearly impossible to understand how anyone can have such a convoluted mind.

Clarity of mind is not possible under such circumstances.

Best wishes,
Andrew

Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses

Andrew