Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses/Jehovah

Question
Hi!
I just read a question that was posted a few years ago about this. I want to piggy back off of that.

I posed a question to witnesses that came to my door and they insisted that in order for me to get a better understanding, I needed to "study" with them. Well, they pulled out their bible and have stated that my KJV removed YHWH from the NT. Isn't YHWH Hebrew? How would it have been removed from Greek text? How do JW's rationalize this? I have listened to them criticize other religions to make the "organization" seem as if it is better. I have listened to them compare how I feel about my name to how  God feels. I didn't understand, since God's ways are not like my ways.

Would I be able to pose a question that would make them think, or will they just deflect/ change the subject/ act like I'm the one that just doesn't understand?

Answer
Hi Carlita,

This is a common line of reasoning from Jehovah's witnesses.  The fact of the matter is that the formal name of God is 4 letters in Hebrew that scholars are just not sure on how to pronounce or spell the word. Most scholars prefer the name Yahweh.  The name Jehovah is a man-made word that was invented in the late 13th century.  So in fact the name of God has not been removed, some translations will translate this word LORD because the exact pronunciation is unknown.  The following link goes into more detail about the name of God.  http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/name-of-jehovah.htm

Unfortunately I do not know of a question that will make them think since they are programed that the Watchtower is the only source of truth.  With that being said, the Holy Spirit is more powerful than the Watchtower.  I would suggest praying for them and pray that the Holy Spirit will guide in the conversation.  I might direct them to Acts 4:12 where the Bible cleary shows that salvation is through the name of Jesus.  Another idea is to take them through this history of the name of God and show that there is no real evidence that this is for sure the name Jehovah.  Here is another link that goes into a little more detail on the name of God.  https://carm.org/what-real-name-god-yhwh-jehovah-yahweh  

I hope this helps.  If you need any more information, please let me know.  

Above all be in prayer as you talk with Jehovah's witnesses.  They are people who Jesus loves who have been deceived by an evil organization.  The Holy Spirit wants to reach them but their deception runs deep.  Ground yourself in the truth of the Bible and pray that the Holy Spirit will open their eyes.  

May God richly bless you,
Jeff  

Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses

Jeff H