Croatia/Island hopping Croatia

My husband and I are planning to spend 2 weeks in Croatia in Early May. We start from split and wanted to spend the first week island hopping and reach Dubrovnik to continue our journey. Our primary interests are: cycling, good food/wine, a little bit of culture and history,  scenic vistas and water sports like kayaking/snorkeling.

1) Can you recommend which islands we should spend our times on?
My initial plan is as follows: 2 days in Brac and 3/4 days in Hvar town(with a daytrip to Vis) and then on to Dubrovnik

2) I couldn't find a direct connection to Dubrovnik from Hvar, do you recommend a different route ?

3) Are cycles allowed on ferrys? and is it possible to rent on each island or better to pick a cycle up in split for the whole trip?

4) I was looking at doing 1 way bicycle rides on islands eg Jelsa to Hvar town or Supetar to Bol to optimize ferry connections... is it possible to pick up and drop off cycles at different points ?

Thanks !

Hi deepti,

I just returned from journey at croatian islands.

1)Like you planed the best way to do it from Split is
first to island Brač, 2 day there is just fine, go
see the golden cape, and take a ferry to Jelsa, island
Hvar. Spend 3-4 days at Hvar, see the old forth at the
top of the hill and find some small restaurant-konoba
for local food - pršut and local vine. You shoud be able
to find local transport to island Vis, Komiža village is
for me the most beautiful place on the whole croatian coast.

2)Try at to find your best way from Hvar
to Dubrovnik.

3) Yes they are allowed on ferrys. You can find bicycles or
motor scooters for rent at each island.

4) No. You must return them from the place where you picked
them up, or you can try speaking with owner of the renting
place for some solution.  

Igor Karasi

Born and living in Croatia, expert in Croatian langvage, history, tourisam and traveling, yachting and yacht charter, real estates market inside Croatia.

Ready to help with questions related to travel, culture, language (limited), health care, purchasing real estate, and living and vacationing in Croatia