Crochet/Crochet Skirts

Question
I've been crocheting for 3 years now. And I've designed quite a few of my own patterns, which turned out great! But I've been wanting to create a crocheted mini skirt. The problem is, even though I check my gauge (and keep it constant) and take my measurements, and adjust the pattern for 2 inches smaller than my measurement, it still comes out way to big! The waist is always about 3 inches or more to big to fit me. I'm using worsted weight, 4 ply, 100 percent acrylic yarn and single crochet stitches. What can I do to fix this? I hope you can help me. :)

Answer
Brittney:

Thanks for the question.

I would suggest using a smaller needle. I tend to crochet tight, and some more loose. If when you are measuring the piece its the right size, but when worn its too big, gives me the indication of that. The stitches need to be tighter, so that they don't loosen when worn.

I believe if you change the needle to a smaller one, you will get the effect you are seeking. I would not worries if the gauge is smaller, as long as it stays consistent, since you have come to find out that the finished product is about 3 inches too big, so you are truly shooting for that gauge, rather than the measurement gauge you have been working with previous.

Hopefully this makes sense. Should you need any assistance, please let me know.

Happy Hooking

Ed

Crochet

Ed Matos