Crochet/Crotchet Pattern Interpretation

Question

I am a beginner in crotchet and i would like to try this new pattern for my crotchet shawl project..I've tried many times to work on the pattern but still can't understand what is going on i hope you can help me to read this pattern as below : This pattern is a free pattern from Caron..its a One Skein Wrap...

Row 1: Dc3tog working over 4th ch from hook and next 2 ch, ch 1, [tr in next ch, ch 1] twice, (tr, ch 1, tr) in next ch, [ch 1, tr in next ch] twice, ch 1, *dc7tog over next 7 ch, ch 1, [tr in next ch, ch 1] twice, (tr, ch 1, tr) in next ch, [ch 1, tr in next ch] twice, ch 1; repeat from * to last 4 ch, dc4tog over last 4 ch, turn—13 pattern repeats.

Row 2: Ch 3, dc in next ch-1 sp, [dc in next tr, dc in next ch-1 sp] 5 times, dc in next tr, *dc2tog over next 2 ch-1 sps (skipping the dc7tog in between), dc in next tr, dc in next ch-1 sp] 5 times, dc in next tr; repeat from * across to last ch-1 sp, dc2tog over last ch-1 sp and last dc3tog, turn.

Row 3: Ch 3, sk first dc2tog, dc3tog over next 3 dc, ch 1, [tr in next dc, ch 1] twice, (tr, ch 1, tr) in next dc, [ch 1, tr in next dc] twice, ch 1, *dc7tog over next 7 dc, ch 1, [tr in next dc, ch 1] twice, (tr, ch 1, tr) in next dc, [ch 1, tr in next dc] twice, ch 1; repeat from * to last 4 dc, dc4tog over last 4 dc, turn.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until piece measures 24"/61cm wide (or to desired width). Fasten off

i do check in the crotchet dummies book and do research online but i cant find the answer..i hope you can help...thanks in advance

Answer
Hi Shannen Lee!
I’m back! I hope what I have makes sense to you. Please let me know!
When making rows of dc, at the end of each row you ch 3. That ch 3 counts as the first dc. So in row 1 when you double crochet in the 4th ch from hook, you will then have 2dc, which are the chain, and the dc itself. But in this case, you will crochet the double crochets together  (tog). The instructions may not be very clear as to how to do this, so I’ll try to make it clearer. First you yarn over as in doing a dc, insert the hook into the stitch and pull up a loop. You should have 3 loops on hook. Then you yarn over again, and pull through two loops on the hook. You should now have two loops on the hook. Now, since you are crocheting several dc together, you yarn over again and insert the hook in the next st and pull up a loop. You should now have four loops on the hook. Then you yarn over again, and pull through two loops on hook. Then, once more you yarn over, insert the hook in the next stitch, and pull up a loop (5 loops on hook), then yarn over and pull through two loops on hook, then yarn over once more and pull through all four loops on hook. When crocheting more double crochets together, you avoid this last step (pulling through all 4 loops) and continue with inserting the hook into the next stitch, and pulling up a loop, etc.
I am going to assume it is the parts between the [ ] and ( ) that have gotten you confused. It can be tedious. I often write out instructions that are long and drawn out. This keeps me from losing my place. When you come to a [ ] or ( ), you do what the instructions say the number of times designated right after the brackets. So for the first one: “[tr in next ch, ch 1] twice” means: in the next chain, you make a tr, then ch 1. Then in the next chain after that, you do this again: tr, ch 1. You have crocheted a tr in each of two ch, with a ch stitch between the two tr, and after the second tr. Then the “*” means that from where that “*” is, you repeat starting from there.
In row 2 it looks like a “[“ was left out. I think it should be right after “(skipping the dc7tog in between)” then [dc in next tr, dc in next ch-1 sp].

Anyway, I’ll rewrite the first row and am sending it to you. If it makes sense, let me know, and I can rewrite the other rows for you. What I will do is to insert the instructions for each stitch between “/ / ” instead of saying “next ch”. Here it goes for row 1, and I hope it makes sense. This will start right after the first ch 1 in the instructions. /tr, ch 1/    /tr, ch 1/  /tr, ch 1, tr/  /ch 1, tr /  /ch 1, tr /  /ch1/ * /dc7tog over next 7 ch, ch 1/   /tr ch 1/  /tr, ch 1/  /tr, ch 1, tr/  /ch 1, tr /   /ch 1, tr /  /ch 1/. Then you repeat this from where the * is until you get to the last 4 ch, and then dc4tog.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know how the first row goes. Good luck!

Marla

Hi Shannen Lee!
I am working on revising the instructions to make it more understandable. Please give me another day or so. I'll at least send you the simplified instructions each row at a time if I'm taking too long.

Marla

Hi Shannen Lee!
Thanks for asking! Welcome to crochet! It is my favorite hobby. Sometimes I have to write out the instructions line by line, so that I don't lose my place. I'll write out the pattern for you and hopefully make it clearer. I am going out of town, so it may be a few days before I can get it all written up for you, but I'll get going on it.

Marla  

Crochet

Marla