Crochet/drop lp confusion

so I have a pattern for some coasters and the pattern reads just like this for rnd 4- working in skipped sts of rnd 2, join red with sl st in any st, ch 8,(which I have already done)drop lp from hook, draw ch-8 just made from back to front through next ch sp on last rnd, insert hook in dropped lp,(tr in next st, ch 4,drop lpfrom hook ,draw ch-4 just made from back to front through next ch sp on last rnd,insert hook in dropped lp)around,

PLease help, im totally confused

Thanks so much

Hi Ashley!

Thanks for asking!  Yes, it isnít worded too plainly.
First that ch 8 counts as a tr and ch 4 (like a ch 3 counts as the first dc), which you use after the ch 8. Now, you make the ch 8, and drop it form the hook.
Then you insert the hook into the stitch, like you normally would in crochet, and hook that last ch on the chain 8, and draw it through the stitch. Iím not clear if you draw the whole chain, or just the last ch through the ch sp. To me, it makes more sense to just bring that last ch of the ch 8 through the stitch.
Since I donít have a picture of this, and donít know how the coaster looks, I think that maybe there is a typo. Instead of doing, as the instructions state "(tr in next st, ch 4Ö)" try this:(ch 4, tr in next st, ch 4Ö) I think there should be a ch 4 before the tr. This would make it equivalent to the ch 8. See if this looks better.

I hope this makes sense to you, and is right, but try it and see if it does makes sense. Please let me know if it works out better Good luck!

I have crocheted many doilies, I enjoy working with crochet thread. I have crocheted numerous afghans. But I have little to no experience in the afghan stitch, or hairpin lace. If you have a question pertaining to a pattern in a magazine, book or leaflet, please include the name and # of it, and the page or pattern #. There is a slight possibility I may have that pattern, and can refer to it. Nearly all of my crochet magazines, leaflests, etc are over 5 years old. Many are from the 80's and before. Although I have crocheted sweaters and slippers,I don't feel I have done enough of them to really give good advice as to assembling the pieces, but can give advice on the type of stitches.

I have been a crocheter for over 30 years.

American Legion Auxiliary

BS in geography

At a county fair one time I did win a crochet contest, and another time at the county fair I reccived a crochet award. and a few times I have won a "high points" award in crochet.