What does it mean to chain 3 then dc in next stitch and in each stitch around?  I do this and im supposed to have 36dc total but keep coming up with 39dc.. Im lost.. please explain in simplest form possible.. Thanks

Hi Holly!
Thanks for asking! It sounds like you are making something round, or at least something that starts out round. What this means is to first chain 3. This counts as the first dc. Then you dc in the next stitch, and each stitch in the circle of stitches until you get back to where you started. Sometimes the very first stitch you see after the ch 3 looks like you should crochet in it, but is not necessarily the one you stitch in. If you send me the instructions for this up to where you are having trouble, I will try to make sense of it, and explain it more clearly. Please let me know!

I have crocheted many doilies, I enjoy working with crochet thread. I have crocheted numerous afghans. But I have little to no experience in the afghan stitch, or hairpin lace. If you have a question pertaining to a pattern in a magazine, book or leaflet, please include the name and # of it, and the page or pattern #. There is a slight possibility I may have that pattern, and can refer to it. Nearly all of my crochet magazines, leaflests, etc are over 5 years old. Many are from the 80's and before. Although I have crocheted sweaters and slippers,I don't feel I have done enough of them to really give good advice as to assembling the pieces, but can give advice on the type of stitches.

I have been a crocheter for over 30 years.

American Legion Auxiliary

BS in geography

At a county fair one time I did win a crochet contest, and another time at the county fair I reccived a crochet award. and a few times I have won a "high points" award in crochet.