Crochet/Stitch increase or stay the same

Question
In trying to crochet a baby cocoon the pattern shows the stitch count up until the 8th round. The next round tells you to repeat row 8 until it reaches 13.5 inches. The last stitch count is 64 but when I get to the end of the round I have more than 64 stitches. I always count the stitches before I complete the round to be make sure I don't put more than one stitch in next stitch. Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to increase?

Answer
Hello Alice:

Thanks for the question.

Since I don't know the pattern, its hard to answer.

BUT - row 7 has how many stitches at the end? Row 8 ends with 64. If in row 8, there is an increase, then yes, you will have a larger number as you are progressing. If not, you may want to look in the end of the row. At times this is the area where an extra stitch is being done, and can create a discrepancy on the count. I tend to count my stitches before I join the row I am working to make sure I am where I am supposed to be in the stitch count.

Hopefully this helped. Should you need any assistance, please let me know.

Happy Hooking

Ed

Crochet

Ed Matos