Crochet/afghan size

When I crochet an afghan my finished product is always more narrow than it should be, the length is pretty much the same as described. I use less yarn than is called for. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Pat!
Thanks for asking! Sorry for taking so long to answer. Sometimes my afghans are a little narrower that what the finished size is, too. Please be aware that the gauge is based on the author of the instructions. You may not be doing anything wrong! Now, as far as your width being narrower than the authors, it is possible that your tension is the same as the author up until the last step of the crochet, and then you tighten up a little. This may make a difference in the width. Normally I do not bother with gauge when making afghans unless I am making it in pieces like blocks such as granny squares or strips like in the mile-a-minute.  As for the amount of yarn you use, I think the author of the instructions normally calls for more yarn than what they use to avoid the problem of the reader going back and trying to find another skein in the same dye lot. If you are uncomfortable with your afghans being too narrow, you could add more stitches to the rows if the pattern does not have a lot of stitches in each repeat. Or you could use a larger crochet hook. If you are going to use a larger hook, make sure you gauge is the same so you won't run out of yarn. The same would apply if you were to add more stitches.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of anymore help. Good luck!

I have crocheted many doilies, I enjoy working with crochet thread. I have crocheted numerous afghans. But I have little to no experience in the afghan stitch, or hairpin lace. If you have a question pertaining to a pattern in a magazine, book or leaflet, please include the name and # of it, and the page or pattern #. There is a slight possibility I may have that pattern, and can refer to it. Nearly all of my crochet magazines, leaflests, etc are over 5 years old. Many are from the 80's and before. Although I have crocheted sweaters and slippers,I don't feel I have done enough of them to really give good advice as to assembling the pieces, but can give advice on the type of stitches.

I have been a crocheter for over 30 years.

American Legion Auxiliary

BS in geography

At a county fair one time I did win a crochet contest, and another time at the county fair I reccived a crochet award. and a few times I have won a "high points" award in crochet.