Crochet/crochet question

Question
I am crocheting a baby afghan from Leisure Arts Leaflet 3015, in particular afghan #2.  It is a shell stitch pattern and row 2 is repeated to get the pattern.  My questions is as follows:  What does it mean when directions read 3dc in sp before last dc, leave last dc unworked??  Do I only do 2dc instead of 3?  If so, why did they write 3dc?  Please advise if I work 3dc or 2dc.  Thanks you.

Answer
Hi Corinne!
Thanks for asking! For the shell afghans I have made, I've made 3 dc in the last dc, but this could be a different way of making a shell afghan. It looks like that instead of 3 dc in the last dc (usually the ch 3 at the start of the previous row) you make 3 dc in the last space. When shells are a group of 5 dc, a "half shell" is made at the end, and is usually 3 dc. If this doesn't make sense, please send me the instructions for the first row, so I can get a better idea of what is going on.  Good luck!

Marla

Crochet

Marla