Crochet/Crochet Terms

I am working on a pattern and it has made me a little bit confused. I have just taught myself crocheting from reading and watching youtube videos, but need more help on reading one pattern. It is out of a cheap book from walmart, "Crochet Toys", and one pattern says, "(2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc)". If I am understanding this right. I need to do 2 single crochets in the next single crochet, but confused for the next. Is it single crochet after counting to the 3rd single crochet in the pattern? Or does it mean make 3 single crochets in the next single crochet? This is the only pattern I am scratching my head on. It just does not look right if I single crochet after counting to the 3rd single crochet. I hope someone can help me on this.

Hi Jennyfer!
Thanks for asking! I am sorry for taking so long to respond. I thought I had checked my e-mail, but obviously not. Welcome to crochet! It is my favorite hobby! Yes, you are right about the first part. Then the next part “sc in the next 3 sc” means that you make one sc in each of the next 3 sc. So for that group between the ( ) you should have 5 single crochets.
I hope this helps! Please let me know if you need more help, or if what I told you doesn’t make sense. Good luck!

I have crocheted many doilies, I enjoy working with crochet thread. I have crocheted numerous afghans. But I have little to no experience in the afghan stitch, or hairpin lace. If you have a question pertaining to a pattern in a magazine, book or leaflet, please include the name and # of it, and the page or pattern #. There is a slight possibility I may have that pattern, and can refer to it. Nearly all of my crochet magazines, leaflests, etc are over 5 years old. Many are from the 80's and before. Although I have crocheted sweaters and slippers,I don't feel I have done enough of them to really give good advice as to assembling the pieces, but can give advice on the type of stitches.

I have been a crocheter for over 30 years.

American Legion Auxiliary

BS in geography

At a county fair one time I did win a crochet contest, and another time at the county fair I reccived a crochet award. and a few times I have won a "high points" award in crochet.