Crochet/Is there a way to prevent snowflakes from yellowing?

Question
Hello Marla,

I have asked my crochet groups. I have searched the web. I have looked thru my crochet magazines but I cannot find anything pertaining to preventing stiffened snowflakes from yellowing. I've read tons of articles on what to use but so far no information on keeping them from yellowing? I've used my share of products (glue, starch, commercial stiffener, sugar, Epsom salts, etc) but my snowflakes always turn yellow. I've read different opinions on how to store them. That hasn't worked for me either. They don't take years to turn yellow, they are yellow when I take them out again the following year. The strange thing is that some of my friends who I have gifted them to don't seem to have a problem with theirs yellowing. I have compared how they store theirs and there doesn't seem to be a difference. Do you know of some way to keep them from yellowing? Maybe some way to store them? I'd really, really like to have a white snowflake for more than one year. I'd appreciate any suggestions and thank you in advance. :)

Answer
Hi Cheryl!
Thanks for asking. I'm not really sure what causes the snowflakes to yellow so quickly. I have a number of stiffened snowflakes I crocheted years ago and still have not yellowed. Maybe I have just been lucky. I store them all piled together in a small cardboard box, about the size you would mail a small book in. I also have tissue around the bulk of them. On some I used "Aleen's Fabric Stiffener" and some I used spray starch: I sprayed them, blocked them and used a hair dryer to dry them out or ironed them. Are you still using the same container to store them in? If so, I would change containers.  Do you store them in your house, or in the garage? Temperature may be a factor. I store mine in the attic, and it gets fairly warm there in the summer.
I'm really not sure what to tell you. I've read that the sun can cause yellowing, but if you have been storing them in a box away from the sun, that wouldn't be the reason. Maybe the temperature you store them in may be a factor. I'm sorry I can't be of any help. Maybe just keep searching the Internet for answers. Good luck!

Marla

Crochet

Marla