Crochet/How do I know what stitch is considered the "beg"?

Hello, I am trying to make the "Flower Basket Afghan" that is featured in Aprils issue of Crochet World magazine (just in case you have a copy). I have tried over 10 times to start from scratch doing the first part of the "basket" which I'm assuming is a version of the "basket weave stitch" because it does look like a basket. Even after watching video tutorials and taking a crochet class I'm still having trouble knowing what stitch to crochet into starting a row and my trouble with this particular pattern is when the pattern says "DC in same sc as beg ch-3" do i dc in the first ch3 stitch or dc in the sc space in chained 3 out of? I'm so confused! I've tried over 10 times both ways and for some reason I"m always off a stitch or two after I get to row 6. If you have any advice or answers they are most welcomed. If you need me to send you the first few rows of instructions for reference let me know. Thanks for your help ~Kimberly

Thanks for the question.

Yes can you send the first few rows instructions. Please make sure to add the comas and any special punctuations, since it's important in the reading of the pattern.

I will be more than happy to figure the instructions out for you.

Happy hooking

Ed Matos

I am able to assist with reading patterns, in any format. I been crocheting for about 20+ years. Specialty in intricate pattern, adding bead, sequence, etc.

Crochet, all type patterns. My favorite project to work on are baptism gowns, done in size 10 threads.

I am self taught. I have taught hundreds of students, of all ages and genders the art of crochet.

I have won various first price ribbons at fairs