Crochet/Blanket is growing.

Question
I've been crocheting for about 2 years and I am learning as I'm going but for some reason I can't seem to get a perfect square/rectangle blanket... its seems to be growing as I am going. The edges seem nice and straight but I'm assuming I'm adding an extra stitch here and there. Is there anyway you can explain to me how to end the stitch without having to count each stitch and how the exactly the edging is suppose to look like (for instance is it not suppose to be nice and straight?)

I hope you can solve my problems... I hate to have to redo my daughters blanket over (half way through)... its really bothering me how i can't the edging quite right!

Answer
Abigail:

Thanks for the question.

This is a common problem. At times the issue is that at the end of the row, extra stitches are added, by mistake. Its important to keep track if the stitches, so that the piece does not begin to grow.

The piece, once blocked should be nice and straight, during the process

Also tension will play a factor. BUT it can be corrected. Once you have the piece done, it will need to be blocked. That is to shape the piece into its final size. There are numerous methods, I use steam to do my blocking, and gently stretch the piece to the size it need to be.

You can also add a border to it, and that can also help in the shaping.

Hopefully this helped. Should you need any assistance, please let me know.

Happy Hooking

Ed

Crochet

Ed Matos