Crochet/Granny square

I have a question about Granny Squares. I love them, but I have very thick wool yarn and i cant figure out how to get a traditional square going. i have a J10-6.00MM hook. Not sure if it is the correct size. How do i go about making a square with what i have?

Thanks for the question.

Granny Squares are very versatile. I will depend on the look you are after. So larger hook, more open, smaller, tighter. The hook you mention should work, but its all dependant on what is the finish look you are seeking.

I would make a small square and see if you like how it looks, then you can play with the hook size, and it will change the look.

Hope that helps. Remember that the look is affected by  the tension, yarn and hook used, so its hard to say, "yes that will work" without seeing / knowing the other elements.

Happy hooking

Ed Matos

I am able to assist with reading patterns, in any format. I been crocheting for about 20+ years. Specialty in intricate pattern, adding bead, sequence, etc.

Crochet, all type patterns. My favorite project to work on are baptism gowns, done in size 10 threads.

I am self taught. I have taught hundreds of students, of all ages and genders the art of crochet.

I have won various first price ribbons at fairs