Crochet/best way to knit or crochet from a chart

Question
My grandson has started college at the University of North Florida. Their emblem is an osprey. I want to surprise him with an afghan for Christmas. Please advise on how to knit or crochet from a chart to get the best likeness of subject. I think I can manage to copy their emblem to a chart. What is the best weight of yarn to create the image.
Thank you.

Answer
Hey Sarah,

I have yet to at this moment create my own chart for crocheting from. I have always used a pattern. If you are able to copy the image then I would just suggest using a table or graph paper and assigning a code to it. Typically with most charts that I have crocheted from one block or square is 4dc stitches but use whatever you believe would work best for the afghan. It you want it to be a good size, you will probably need to up the size of each block.

I typically use worsted weight yarn for all these kinds of projects and if you decide to crochet it a 6mm or 5.5mm hook. But that will probably take more time. I just like the look of that size better. There would be bigger afghan hooks available if you are wanted a quicker project.

Hope this helps, sorry that I do not have much experience in that particular area with crochet. Sounds like a cool project though.

Happy Crocheting

Natalie

Crochet

Natalie Paterson