Crochet/"Work even" in crochet

Hi Experts,

My pattern states:
Row 1: Ch7, sc into 2nd ch from hook & each ch across (6sc)
Row 2-5: Work even on 6sc.

I understand that "work even" means work in established pattern without increasing/decreasing. Which means, my rows 2-5 will all have 6sc respectively.

However, I'm confused whether to turn or not to turn my crochet in order to sc into the 6sc made in row 1, or do I work in rounds?

Is it the same as: "Row 2-5: Turn, ch1, sc across the 6sc"?

Please help.

Thanks for the question. This is a common question.

If a pattern is to be worked in the round, it should state so. Normally the piece is worked as a panel, so you are going back and forth. If the piece is not to be turned at the end of the row, the pattern should also state so, but if its a flat row, at the end its assume you will turn to go back and forth.

Hopefully this will help. Should you have any questions, please let me know.

Happy Hooking

Ed Matos

I am able to assist with reading patterns, in any format. I been crocheting for about 20+ years. Specialty in intricate pattern, adding bead, sequence, etc.

Crochet, all type patterns. My favorite project to work on are baptism gowns, done in size 10 threads.

I am self taught. I have taught hundreds of students, of all ages and genders the art of crochet.

I have won various first price ribbons at fairs