Crochet/Pattern Question

Question
I am working on a Red Heart Infinity Scarf (pattern #LW2516) and am stuck on row 4.  Can you tell me what it means to work over next chain 5 space?  Thanking you in advance for your help!

Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook (beginning ch counts as
first dc) and in each remaining ch across, turn—40 dc.

Row 2: Ch 1, hdc in first dc, [skip next 4 dc, 9 tr in next dc,
skip next 4 dc, hdc in next dc] 3 times, skip next 4 dc, 9 tr
in next dc, skip next 3 dc, hdc in top of turning ch, turn—
Four 9-tr groups.

Row 3: Ch 5 (counts as tr, ch 1), tr in first hdc, [ch 5, skip
next 9-tr group, (tr, ch 3, tr) in next hdc] 3 times, ch 5, skip
last 9-tr group, (tr, ch 1, tr) in last hdc, turn.

Row 4: Ch 4 (counts as tr), 4 tr in first ch-1 space,
[working over next ch-5 space, hdc in 5th tr of next skipped
9-tr group 2 rows below, 9 tr in next ch-3 space] 3 times,
working over next ch-5 space, hdc in 5th tr of next 9-tr
group 2 rows below, 5 tr in turning ch-space, turn—Three
9-tr groups and two 5-tr groups.

Answer
Hey Deb,

So when it says "work over next ch 5 space" it is referring to the fact that the work you are about to do is from row two. You are not going to use that ch 5 space in this row. So what you need to do is make sure that the ch 5 space is behind the work you are going to do and not in front of it.

Basically in Row 4 you are going to:

Chain 4. 4 Treble in first Chain 1 space. Then you need to do a half double crochet in the 5th treble stitch of row 2 making sure the chain 5 space is behind your work.

Hope that helps,

Natalie

Crochet

Natalie Paterson