I am confused by the term "counts as". In this pattern the row states: (1 tr ch3 1 tr) in 8th ch from hook. Counts as [(1 tr ch 3)twice. 1 tr] This term appears several times throughout this pattern so I can't continue.  Help!

Hello Diane,

Usually when you see the term "counts as" it is talking about a stitch in the beginning of the pattern that has a chain instead of the actual stitch.

For example, when doing a row of double crochet, a pattern might say chain 3 (counts as first double crochet) dc in every chain. This just means that when you are counting your stitches the first chain counts as a double stitch.

In this pattern does the (1 tr, ch 3, 1 tr) in 8th ch from hook. Counts as.... should there be something else there in the pattern itself? Or is that exactly what it says? My guess is that it is saying that the first 7 chs counts as the first tr stitch. Or that the (1 tr, ch 3, 1tr) counts as the first treble v-stitch or whatever they call in in the pattern.

Hope this helps, if you need any more clarification it would be helpful if I could have a couple more rows of the pattern fully typed out.

Natalie Paterson

I can answer questions that concern reading crochet patterns and filet charts. I am not qualified to help with patterns that are only picture charts. I specialize in thread or cotton crochet, especially making doilies.

I have been crocheting for the past 6 years and have made many different projects. I have also helped many beginners start on their crocheting journing. I have done both wool and thread crochet, but I am better at thread crochet. I specialize in making doilies and lace items such as tablecloths, place settings, etc.

Crochet is a very enjoyable hobby that I pursue, but I have never had any education regarding this subject. What I know I am self taught and have perfected through many years of practice. I have finished my bachelor degree at college, and I just joining the workforce.