Crochet/Custom Fitting a Garment

I am about to start crocheting a tunic for myself.  Because I am well endowed, making the garment to fit my bust leaves me with a baggy garment around my waist. (waist + 10" = bust)
I have thought of starting the garment at the lower edge, the size to fit my hips/waist and increasing my number of stitches as the garment grows so it will fit my bust when I get that far up the garment.
Any suggestions about how I could do that?  Or is this the 'right' approach?

Hello Janice:

Thanks for the question.

This project will be a good one. You have the right approach. You can either work from top down, with decreases or bottom up with increases. I would suggest Top to bottom, that way you can accommodate the top, to make sure it fits, till about center of bust, then do a gentle decrease so that it will hang better and look better. If you just accommodate and do decreases after the bust, you will have a garment that will be distorted, specially after a few uses / washes. Remember that the fibers will soften and with use the garment will stretch a bit.

I suggest to do the increases / decreases only in the front and not in the back, that way you have a smooth back. This is where the challenge will be since you will need to alter the pattern to meet you need. Its almost like adding darts in a fabric garment.

Gentle decrease = decrease over a few rows, rather than decreasing all in one row- this you will need to play with and do as you go, to make sure the garment is looking the way you want it to look.

Hope this helped.

Happy hooking

Ed Matos

I am able to assist with reading patterns, in any format. I been crocheting for about 20+ years. Specialty in intricate pattern, adding bead, sequence, etc.

Crochet, all type patterns. My favorite project to work on are baptism gowns, done in size 10 threads.

I am self taught. I have taught hundreds of students, of all ages and genders the art of crochet.

I have won various first price ribbons at fairs