Crochet/Split treble crochet stitch

Question
i see another was having trouble understanding this stitch also. The pattern is a Vanna's Birthday Wishs. It is used in a mile-a-minute afghan. The stitch is explained as such. Beginning Split Treble, YO twice, insert hook from back to front in skipped FPdc, YO & pull up a loop, (YO & draw thru 2loops on hook ) twice, skip next 2 dc , insert hook from front to back in next FPdc, YO &pull up a loop, (YO & draw thru 2lops on hook)  twice, YO & draw thru all 3lops on hook.
Split Treble Crochet, YO twice, insert hook from back to front in same FPdc as last Split tr made, YO &opulent up a loop, (YO draw thru 2loops on hook) twice, YO twice, skip next 2 dc, insert hook from front to back in next FPdc, YO & pull up a loop, ( YO& draw thru 2 loops on hook) twice YO & draw thru all 3 loops on hook.
The pattern for row 3 is: ch 3, dc in next dc, skip next FPdc, 2 dc in each of next 2 dc, working in front of last 2 dc made, work Beginning Split tr, working behind Beginning Split tr just made, 2 dc in each of 2 skipped DC & in each of next 2 dc,^ working in front of last 4 dc made, work Split tr, working behind Split tr just made, 2 dc in each of 2 skipped DC, dc in next 2 dc, working in front of last 2 dc made, work Split tr,* working behind Split tr just made, dc in 2 skipped DC & in next 2 dc, working in front of last 2 dc made, work Split tr; repeat from * across working last leg of last Split tr in next marked FPdc, working behind Split tr just made, dc in 2 skipped dc^, 2 dc in each of next 2 dc, working in front of last 4 dc made, work Split tr, working behind Split tr just made, 2 dc in each of 2 skipped DC & in each of next 2 dc, repeat from ^ to ^ once, dc in next DC, working in front of last 2 dc made, work Ending tr; join with slip st to first dc.  
I am usually pretty good at figuring stitches out but this has me stumped. I'm just not sure I am doing it right. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Answer
Hello Katie:

Thanks for the question.

Boy oh boy this one is a crazy one.

Ok by starters, this has multiple special stitches. You have Front post double crochet (FPdc), stitches coming from back to front, trebles, to name a few.

So I believe what the issue may be is that there is lots of instructions for a little stitch. I tried the instructions, and did not have an issue. So I am going to give you a tip on how to deal with this, that I believe may resolve the issue.

Don't read the whole thing when you are doing the stitch. Take each step (read the step till the coma) and do just that set of instructions, get comfortable with that step, then move to the next set of instructions, stopping at the coma, then completing that task and then moving forward till the next coma, parenthesis or period.

Also don't assume or add - if the pattern does not state to turn, but rather states to do the next steps in the previously done stitches, it means just that, the item should still face the same direction, but you are performing the stitch going in a different direction. That alone gets a lot of people, because they believe the pattern is going in a different direction, turn the work and then get stuck.

This will make a world of difference, till you get comfortable with what the pattern is asking for. After doing it a few times, it will become more natural and less overwhelming. I will say that Lion brand pattern are very good, and tested; the comas, parenthesis, and periods play a important role when you have a complex pattern, and we just tend to just bypass them and get our self in a bind.

Please try that and I think you will answer and resolve this issue. Should you need further assistance, please let me know.

Happy Hooking

Ed  

Crochet

Ed Matos