Crochet/Stuck on crochet tree pattern

Question
Please can you help me with the tree of life blanket, here is the link:
http://www.lionbrand.com/crochet-pattern-tree-of-life-afghan-1.html

I'm not brilliant at crocheting but I try and set myself challenges so that I will get better at it.

There are 55 Rows for the tree pattern. I've completed Rows 1-16, that was quite easy. The next few rows are as follows:

Row 17: Ch 1, turn, *sc in each of next 13 sc, FPTR around next post st 2 rows below, FPDC around next 4 post sts,
sc in each of next 12 sc, FPDC around next 4 post sts, FPTR around same post st 2 rows below, sc in next 13 sc; rep
from * 2 more times.

Row 18: Ch 1, turn, *sc in next 12 sc, BPDC around next post st, 2 BPDC around next post st, BPDC around next 3
post sts, sc in next 12 sc, BPDC around next 3 post sts, 2 BPDC around next post st, BPDC around next post st, sc in
next 12 sc; rep from * 2 more times.

Row 19: Ch 1, turn, *sc in next 12 sc, FPDC around next 6 post sts, sc in next 12 sc, FPDC around next 6 post sts,
sc in next 12 sc; rep from * 2 more times.

Row 20: Ch 1, turn, *sc in next 11 sc, BPDC around next 2 post sts, sc in next st, BPDC around next 4 post sts, sc in
next 12 sc, BPDC around next 4 post sts, sc in next st, BPDC around next 2 post sts, sc in next 11 sc; rep from * 2
more times.

Row 21: Ch 1, turn, *sc in next 10 sc, FPDC around next 2 post sts, sc in next 2 sts, FPDC around next 4 post sts, sc
in next 12 sc, FPDC around next 4 post sts, sc in next 2 sts, FPDC around next 2 post sts, sc in next 10 sc; rep from * 2 more times.

I think I'm OK with Row 17 where you sc in next 13sc, skip a stitch (although it doesn't say that) and then FPTR around next post to make an increase, and there's an increase in Row 18.  Have I got that right?

Do I take it that you do nothing with the skipped stitches because at the beginning of each row it says *sc in next 13 sc and then the next row it's one less (*sc in next 12 sc, etc).

Also starting at Row 20 it says *sc in next 11 sc, BPDC around next 2 post sts, sc in next st. Where does this sc come from, is it one of the sc not worked at the beginning and you have to pick it up as if you were doing a cable?

I thought I would speak to an expert (I've successfully used AllExperts before) before I go any further as I've got to Row 23 and it still doesn't look right after unpicking it three times now. Not only do I have the above problems but it's wavy where my BPDCs and FPDCs are higher than my single crochets and it should be straight.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be forever grateful.

Answer
Hello Jean

Thanks for the question.

You mention increases and skips. The instructions you sent me have neither one. I just want to make sure you know some of the stitches in this pattern.
BPDC = back post double crochet
FPDC = front post double crochet

Those two stitches give the piece the texture.

Here are videos to show to to do the stitch.

https://youtu.be/EwwCBNQRVvI

https://youtu.be/lzlTGP_hGco

Hopefully this will help to get the piece worked correctly.

Happy hooking

Ed

Crochet

Ed Matos