Crohns Disease/Apriso

Question
I've had elimination problems since contracting a food bourne illness, but had too many side effects from motility drugs. Although all my labs are normal for inflammation and only test ever performed is hydrogen breath test, which was positive, dr recently told me to take Apriso with no diagnosis ever received for colitis or crohn's. Is there any danger in taking Apriso without such a diagnosis or is this type of trial and error in gastro common?

Answer
Hi Marie,

I'm sorry, but I won't be of much help with your question, as I'm not very familiar with Apriso. I will say though, that trial and error is pretty common- it helps them rule out all of the other GI problems that are so similar.  That being said, you should still be going through all of the common tests, like a colonoscopy, endoscopy,and barium enema.  I would only be concerned that by taking the Apriso before these tests that it will mask your problem before they are able to figure out what is causing your discomfort.  

Don't be afraid to question your doctor, and request tests and more information.
I hope this helps a little, good luck!

Jaime

Crohns Disease

Jaime Coyle