Crohns Disease/what to eat on a low fiber diet

hi Jaime

after reading what you've gone through, I'm almost ashamed to talk about my problems.
I'm 80 and just returned from 3 days at the hospital. I got there after experiencing sharp pain in my insides. The doctors suspected a bowel obstruction and removed it. I'm feeling OK now.

The question I have for you is the diet that I have told to follow, namely, a low-fiber diet. Whether forever or for a while is not yet clear.
I went on-line to research low-fiber diets. I found some weird contradictions and I'd like to hear your opinion:

*one site says to avoid all raw and steamed vegetables. I'm particularly wanting to eat lettuce.
*another site, looking just as respectable as the first site, says its OK to eat lettuce.

They can't both be right. What's going on? What do you think?

One other question..what do you know about a product called Ensure?

I look forward to your reply.

Hi Chris,

Sorry it took me to long to respond!  You should never be ashamed to talk about your problems, that's what we are here for!

I was under the impression that lettuce is not ok to eat on a low fiber diet.  Usually anything raw is forbidden.

Here is Mayo Clinic's list-  I know they are reputable.

Ensure is a great product, it has lots of vitamins and nutrition, and tastes pretty good.  Would definitely recommend it if you can't eat veggies.

Good luck!

Crohns Disease

Jaime Coyle

I can answer any questions regarding what it's like to live with Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis an ostomy bag, or a j-pouch. Symptoms, medication options, what to expect after some surgeries, and what to expect overall if you are diagnosed. I can give advice on how to explain the disease to friends and family, as well as answer questions for any family members who feel helpless. I am familiar with many support groups and websites dedicated to the diseases which I can refer people to. I also know many products available to help with some of the more uncomfortable issues that come with having these diseases.

I am not a doctor. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was 14. I had a very quick and serious bout with it in which I was hospitalized on and off for more than a year. I tried many different medications and finally had to resort to surgery. After my large intestine was removed I lived with an ostomy bag for a year as a teenager. My second surgery was to create a j-pouch and reconnect everything to my rectum. For the last 13 years I have been relatively healthy however have been diagnose with most likely having Crohn's. During these years I have joined numerous support groups and have been in touch with tons of people who are going through it. I keep up research on the newest medications and talk to people who take them about the side-effects. Also when I was sick I tried almost every medication available and can personally talk about the side-effects. I was a camp counselor for the United Ostomy Association's Youth Rally where I taught kids how to live with their diseases. It is something that I feel very strongly about and having gone through it I know that it feels like you are alone.

Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, United Ostomy Association, Youth Rally Committee,

bachelor degree in management from Emerson College