Crohns Disease/Small bowel obstruction

Question
I have an ostomy (12yrs). In the last year I have had ten small bowel obstructions. Is there a relation to SBO and an ostomy? Any suggestion on how to prevent SBO's?

Thank you
Tom

Answer
Hi Tom,

I believe there is definitely a relation to SBO and an ostomy.  First off, adhesions from your surgery could be the main problem.  Between that and possibly certain foods, you have a high risk of blockages.  Do you notice that they happen after eating something specific?  Or possibly any sort of vegetable? I would say your best bet would to be very careful about what you eat, and talk to your doctor about triggers.  Some common food triggers are carrots, mushrooms, corn, seeds, raw veggies, stuff that doesn't digest quickly.

I'm sorry I can't really tell you any more specifically than that on how to prevent them.  You say you only had them in the last year, have you started any new medications, vitamins, supplements, workout routines, cooking technique etc?

hope this helps
Jaime

Crohns Disease

Jaime Coyle