Current Events: U.S./ISIS

Do you think the US will put boots on the ground again in the middle east to fight ISIS. The first Iraq war was necessary, probably not the second, I hope number three is no coming. Why stick your nose in someone elses buisnes? Also, regarding militant Islam, it is my belief that the religion is suffering an existensiol crisis, and seeing the horrors committed in its name is bound to turn people off, possibly even believers. And why is it that Islam is attempting to convert people in the west, but Christian missionaries are not allowed to convert in Islamic countries? I am neither for or against the religion, but ten years ago I predicted this stuff would happen. I think unless we western countries (I am in Canada) stay out, it will get worse. Thanks for reading my rant and sending me your thoughts!

Hey Bud,

I think if ISIS remains relatively contained then the US won't militarily intervene. But if ISIS seems on the verge of occupying Baghdad or significant oil fields, then I think the US will definitely intervene. The argument will be that ISIS can't be permitted to control either vast vital resources or to use Iraq as a terrorist base (which was the justification for invading Afghanistan). ISIS has committed revolting atrocities but unless they directly impact American economic or military interests I think public opinion will forestall intervention.

The issue with Islam is really one of identification: are the terrorists really Muslims just because they say they are, or does their conduct mean they aren't true Muslims because genuine Islam doesn't condone such conduct? I think it's fair to say that elements of Islam seem to spark violence in a way that, say, Quakerism doesn't. Yet again the question is: if a gunman perpetrates a mass shooting and says he's doing it for the "glory of the Quakers," would people think that Quakerism is somehow violent, or that he's not really a Quaker, despite how he identifies himself?

Regarding the conversion issue, I think we just must accept that double standards exist in religious traditions as in other things, in many places. That's not to defend it, but only to acknowledge that they exist in this case, can't be rationally defended, but don't really require  defense. Muslim countries are generally unfree socities, and the lack of religious freedom is only one such manifestation of that.

Personally, I don't think that the actions of terrorists who identify themselves as Muslim should be permitted to tarnish all of Islam. However, it can't be denied that something exists in Islam which can motivate violent terrorists that is absent in other religions which have never been used to justify violence.

I appreciate your "rant" and hope you find these thoughts worthwhile!

- Marc

Current Events: U.S.

Marc Aperio

I'm capable of answering most any question related to current events in the US, including political, social, and cultural issues.

I've been studying the United States and its history for nearly 20 years. I'm also volunteering in the US History and US Politics categories.

My newest book WE NEED TO TALK: 27 DIALOGUES ON RACE IN AMERICA is available in the Amazon Kindle store. Also the author of AMERICAN REVOLUTION 2016: RATIONALE AND AIMS FOR RADICAL CHANGE

BA History (High Honors)