Current Events: U.S./legalisation of marijuana

I realise its still early, but I am interested in how the lagalisation of marijuana is going in the states that have done it. Has the use of it gone up or down, are the stores doing well or have any gone out of buisnes? My own opinion is since it is widely available, and it is a gateway drug (debatable), why does the government have to get involved. There is a movement to do it here in Canada, but I prefer the current approach of getting it as a prescription, and simply ticketing those in posesssion of a large amount. Thanks, and best wishes to you and yours.

The first results are in from Colorado, and they can be found here:

Summarized findings:

Section 1
Impaired Driving:
Traffic fatalities involving operators testing positive for marijuana have increased 100
percent from 2007 to 2012
The majority of driving-under-the-influence-of-drugs arrests involve marijuana and 25
to 40 percent were marijuana alone
Toxicology reports with positive marijuana results for driving under the influence have increased 16 percent from 2011 to 2013

Drug related suspensions/expulsions increased 32 percent from school years 2008/2009 through 2012/2013. The vast majority were for marijuana violations

From 2011 through 2013, there was a 57 percent increase in marijuana - related emergency room visits
Hospitalizations related to marijuana have increased 82 percent from 2008 to 2013

Marijuana - related exposures for children ages 0 to 5 on average have increased 268 percent from 2006–2009 to 2010-2013

Colorado’s rate of marijuana - related exposures is triple the national average

Highway interdiction seizures of Colorado marijuana destined to 40 other states increased 397
percent from 2008 to 2013
The average pounds of Colorado marijuana seized, destined for other states, increased 33.5 percent from 2005 to 2008 compared to 2009 to 2013

Overall, crime in Denver increased 6.7 percent from the first six months of 2013 to the first
six months of 2014
The number of pets poisoned from ingesting marijuana has increased four - fold in the past six years
Colorado estimates for annual revenue from the sale of recreational marijuana varies from $65 million (.6 percent of all expected general fund revenue) to $118 million (1.2 percent of all expected general fund revenue)
The majority of counties and cities in Colorado have banned recreational marijuana businesses
THC potency has risen from an average of 3.96 percent in 1995 to an average of 12.33 percent in 2013.

In general, except for money being made, the marijuana experience in Colorado is turning into a disaster. Don't be surprised if the laws change soon.

Current Events: U.S.

Questions concerning government, politics, elections, world events, and current events in the U.S.

Twenty-five years in Public Administration, former elected official, and educator.