DJs/Music Production/Re: DJing BPM start > Middle > End

Question
Hi Steve!

I feel like I'm in a rut with my playlists. I think my biggest flaw is that I start with a tempo of about 118, move up, then crash it down to 80 and move back up.  Am I moving to a too slow BPM for a Top40 type DJ? I feel like by the time I get to the triple digit songs again it's too late and the dance floor is cleared. Should I maybe start back at 100 bpm, then work my way back up? This may be a bit nit picky, but I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot with this. Thanks!

Andrew

Answer
Your absolutely right Andrew.  You need to Move up or down through the BPM's through a number of songs.  If you are starting at 118 then gradually move up to about 132 over a few songs.  Then if you want to slow them down again I would only go down to about 110.  If you are a mobile DJ then you should not beat match too many songs in a row.  If you are a club DJ then the beats should not change dramatically within a short period of time.  Stretch them out gradually and watch what beat the people are responding to the most.  Hope this helps.
Steve.

DJs/Music Production

Steve Parker