Dachshunds/Best Guidelines on feeding

Question
QUESTION: If the feeding guidelines on a dog food bag say between 1 1/2 - 2 cups per day; is it better to break that into just two feedings per day or several small meals like recommended for people? My "Scooby" acts like he is starving ALL the time (noting that he is already "fluffy" at 23 lbs). He is very bowlegged in his rear legs and can not walk very far so it is hard to exercise him. He will be 9 years old this month and has had a couple of IVDD issues, although he is good right now!

ANSWER: I feed my seniors twice a day and none get that much food.  Dachshunds who are fed too much will gain wright, have back issues and leg problems.  I would cut back on the food.  All dachshunds think they are starving - mine too!  You can feed him green beans - he will love them and they are good fillers.  I also buy pumpkin and sweet potato canned food at PetsMart and feed that - they love it and it helps fill them up without the extra calories.  Hope this helps!

QUESTION: You are saying not to even give him the suggested amount? I have given him green beans in the past but baby carrots currently. Probably too much sugar in those. I switched him last week back to one of the weight control foods but he is back to waking me up at 3:30 to 4:30 in the morning,,, ugh!!! He is definitely the shape of a sausage and must slim down! Will the canned stuff give him loose stools?

Answer
Changing diet slowly is the key.  You are feeding a lot, but it is up to you.  I never go by recommended amounts or all mine would be blimps, most of them are at a good weight or a tiny bit rotund.  Try feeding  more at night, I have one that paces if he does not eat enough and keeps me up too.  He gets more at night and less in the am and that seems to work for him.  I sometimes cook liver and rice for a meal as a special treat.  You might also want the vet to check him before changing diet or altering diet to make sure he has no health issues that might cause it.

Dachshunds

Cindy