Dachshunds/feediing

Question
Lulu
Lulu  
my mini Doxie is 14 months old. She weighs 14 lbs. I feed her purina light and healthy, 1/2 cup 2x a day. Is that too much for her? She always seems to be hungry. She gets a lot of exercise outdoors everyday. I just don't want her to develop any back problems, as I already had a Doxie many years ago that had a back problem very bad and had to be put down. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Answer
First, she is a teewnie.  She is cute!  1/2 cup is not too bad of an amount if she is not overweight and is active.  I do not feed that much but most of mine are seniors and not active.  Back issues can be resolved without having to be put down much of the time.  It is not uncommon in doxies although of the many I have had, I have only had three.  One was so bad she was paralyzed in the rear but after months she recovered and was fully active and happy.  It is a lot of work and resolve on the owner's part.  If the vet is not really familiar with doxie issues, he/she might not know how to work with them.
You are the judge of how much your dog should get since you are the one who see her weight and knows her activity level.  Even slimmer doxies can have back issues.    Best of luck!

Dachshunds

Cindy