Dallas Cowboys/1st black quarterback for the cowboys

Fufafa wrote at 2008-01-20 15:40:59
Although he might not have played a down, I believe the first black quaterback was Reggie Collier. Although Rodney Peete did get some playing time, Reggie Collier was there during the Landry Years.

Fred Goodwin wrote at 2008-01-25 21:55:29
I was mistaken -- the first black QB for the Cowboys was Reggie Collier, who played only for one year, in 1986.

Lou Russo wrote at 2008-02-01 03:34:32
Reggie Collier was the 1st black quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys signed him to a 4 year contract in 1986. He had some differences with Coach Landry during the season. Landry wanted to convert him to a receiver due to the lack of depth at the position. He did start the last game of the season that year, in a 24-10 loss to Chicago. Collier completed 4 of 9 passes for 44 yards and rushed five times for 32 yards.

Bill wrote at 2013-04-22 12:42:10
Actually the first Black quarterback to ever sign w the Dallas cowboys was Arthur Louis Jr from Beaumont tx, he holds multiple records at his alma matter of SHSU

Gcue wrote at 2013-07-17 19:34:51
There was a All American Quarterback from Texas Southern University named Garland Montgomery that sign with Dallas in 1976, he was really good but was released during preseason.

Also that same year Quarterback D.C. Nobles from the University of Houston left the folded World Football League and signed with Dallas along with Quarterback Cornelius Green of

Ohio State. They both were kind of forced to play wide receiver.

They too were released.  

Dallas Cowboys

Fred Goodwin

My particular expertise is Dallas Cowboys history from 1960-1988 (the Landry era); I'm also a Cowboys book fanatic (I have almost 300 different Cowboys-related titles), and I also collect Cowboys football cards (but stopped in 93). But I am not an expert in the value of cards or collectibles – so please don't ask.

Before you ask: "So-and-so" almost certainly DID NOT PLAY for the Cowboys -- trust me! Before you ask me, ask the guy for proof!

Finally, I DO NOT ANSWER “PRIVATE” QUESTIONS! My work requires research, so the results must be made public.

I had a Cowboys webpage recognized around the Internet as the authoritative list of Cowboys links, and I have a Cowboys book collection second to none (approx. 300 titles). In addition to my book collection, I have every Cowboys media guide back to 1960, which makes researching questions much easier.

Associate in Accounting, Austin Community College
BS, Physics, University of Texas at Austin
MBA, St. Edward's University