Dallas Cowboys/ernie stautner

why is it more attention or credit is not given to Ernie Stautner regarding great Dallas Cowboys defenses.He coached both doomesday 1 and 2.Between himself lilly and r. white they all three are ranked
in the top ten defensive lineman in nfl history.That's 33%which is amazing. Thanks

Good question for which there is no definitive answer.  

But in my opinion, the problem is that HOFer Ernie Stautner worked under HOFer Tom Landry.  Landry basically invented the 4-3 and the Flex variation on it.  Stautner was a heckuva player and could coach specific techniques, but he will always be overshadowed by Landry's inventiveness.  

Stautner was initially a DL coach (1966-72).  He was defensive coordinator from 1973-88.  

Dallas Cowboys

Fred Goodwin

My particular expertise is Dallas Cowboys history from 1960-1988 (the Landry era); I'm also a Cowboys book fanatic (I have almost 300 different Cowboys-related titles), and I also collect Cowboys football cards (but stopped in 93). But I am not an expert in the value of cards or collectibles – so please don't ask.

Before you ask: "So-and-so" almost certainly DID NOT PLAY for the Cowboys -- trust me! Before you ask me, ask the guy for proof!

Finally, I DO NOT ANSWER “PRIVATE” QUESTIONS! My work requires research, so the results must be made public.

I had a Cowboys webpage recognized around the Internet as the authoritative list of Cowboys links, and I have a Cowboys book collection second to none (approx. 300 titles). In addition to my book collection, I have every Cowboys media guide back to 1960, which makes researching questions much easier.

Associate in Accounting, Austin Community College
BS, Physics, University of Texas at Austin
MBA, St. Edward's University