Dance & Dancing/Dance Questions

Question
Hi! My name is Abigail and I'm a 6th grade student.  I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me about dance.  I'm doing a Genius Hour project on dance and I need to interview an expert.  Thank you!

what would happen if a dancer did not tie the ribbons the correct way

why do dancers tie their toes besides to make their toes stronger on pointe

what’s the best way to tape your toes in your opinion

Answer
Hi Abigail I hope I can help you out with your project! I assume your first question is talking about dancers on pointe and how they tie the ribbons around and honestly there isn't one specific way to tie the ribbons around your ankle. One thing you want to avoid is tying it to tight around the back of your ankle because you do not want to injure your Achilles' tendon. You also wouldnt want to tie it to tight or to lose because you want it to stay on your foot but there isn't one specific way to tie your ribbons. Most pointe dancers tape up their toes in order to prevent blistering and injuries of their toes. As you have probably seen in pictures dancers that do pointe often have tons of blisters all over their feet and the tape just prevents that from happening so much. When I did pointe as a teenager I always wrapped pre wrap around my toes that I needed it for and then I would wrap the tape fairly tight around each individual toe. This helped my feet a lot and in my opinion that is the best way to tape your toes. I truly hope I helped with your project!! Good luck!

-Molly  

Dance & Dancing

Molly