Darts/Fogle

Question
Hi!  How are you?  I was writing to ask if it is against the rules of darts to purposefully miss on one's turn when playing doubles in 301to give one's partner a "better chance" to double out. In researching this question, all I've been able come up with is the word fogle, which seems to be the name of the behavior, but can't find any information on whether or not it is a legal move.  This behavior seems to me to violate the spirit of competition in a way that I can't put my finger on, but I was wondering if it's actually cheating.  The person who did it threw the darts at the floor in front of the board, but did so gently and in a completely non-threatening way; this was not a fit of anger, but a calculated move to assist the win by not risking lowering the number any more without doubling out.  This person was not as good as their
partner and was followed by the less experienced member of the opposing team. I want to repeat that no one was in any more actual physical danger than normal, so league rules about not hurting the people around you don't really apply here.

Answer
Hello, Chris.

There is no mention of this technique in the rules of the American Darts Organization, the British Darts Organisation or the Darts Regulation Authority of the PDC.

Therefore, unless this move were considered "Unsportsmanlike" by a judge, it would be a legal turn.

Is it likely to be considered unsportsmanlike?

The only move remotely similar is a player shooting for a common double, like 40 or 32, who misses with the first dart and leaves a difficult outshot remaining, like a two-shot out or the double of an odd number and then throws the remaining darts to "Bust". This play is normally only taken when the opponent cannot possibly win with the next throw, having a remaining number 159, 162, 163, 165, 166, 168, 169, 171 or greater. It is generally considered fair and even wise play to "Bust" under these conditions.

Should the player who throws the darts to miss the board altogether be on a three dart out and the opponent not be on an out, then this might be considered wise play under the conditions you specify, an inexperienced player teamed with an experienced player.

This player is a bit unwise in another sense, giving up this opportunity to improve his game by gaining the experience of shooting for a double under pressure.

If the opposing team is on a one or two dart out, this would be a very unwise move and you might expect the player to be taken to task by the team-mate for risking the game out of timidity.

My conclusion, from the position of a darts enthusiast with no authority whatsoever to make a ruling is that the play you describe is not illegal or unsportsmanlike, but that it flies in the face of the reason why we play darts, to improve our skill, have fun and win the game if we can.  

Darts

Scott Harrison