Darts/Minimum Throwing Distance

Question
I had heard about the MTD being 7' 9 1/4" but I always thought each
dart had to travel at least this far in the air.
This does not appear to be the case.
Doesn't this give an unfair advantage to very tall people
over shorter people?

Answer
Oche Dimensions
Oche Dimensions  
Hello, Peter.

The American Darts Organization rulebook says:

57. The minimum throwing distance is 7' 9.25". (9' 7.185"/measured
diagonally from the Inner Bull to the back of the raised hockey
at floor level).The board height is
5' 8"(floor to the center of the Inner Bull)

The British Darts Organisation says:

15.01   A raised Oche, 38mm. high and 610mm long, ( 1.5ins. high and 24ins long ) must be placed in position at the minimum throwing distance and shall measure from the back of the raised Oche 2.37 metres, ( 7ft 9.25 ins. ) , along the floor to a plumb line at the face of the dartboard.

The International Darts Regulation Authority which governs Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) play says:

5.15.01 A raised Oche, 38 mm high and 610 mm long (1.5ins high and 24ins long) must be placed in position at the minimum throwing distance and shall measure from the back of the raised Oche 2.37 metres (7ft 9.25ins) along the floor to a plumb line at the face of the dartboard.
5.15.02 The diagonal distance from the centre of the Bull to the back of the raised Oche at floor level shall measure 2.93 metres (9ft 7.5ins).

I have not found any reference to the minimum distance the dart has to fly in the air.

Regarding advantage to the taller player:

The flight of the dart is governed by Gravity which accelerates all objects close to the surface of the earth regardless of weight at 32 feet per second per second, Launch angle, the direction in which the dart is thrown and launch velocity, the force transmitted to the dart at the time it leaves the player's hand.

The practiced player of any height learns the correct launch angle and velocity for each target point on the dartboard. I can't see anything in the equation which would give the player launching the dart from a point further from the floor any advantage over a player launching a dart from a position closer to the floor.

Darts

Scott Harrison