Hi I have played darts since the age of thirteen im now 30 somedays id practice for hours n I was a reallygood dart player Iid hit 180s and go out in 12 13 darts hit big finishes about six months ago I started suffering from what I suspect the dreaded dartitis I even changed my throw as my arm didnt seem to want to go bk as far as I wanted at first wen I got it it wernt as bad it take me an hour r so to release the darts but wen my arm was relaxed they go wer I wanted but I still hd stutters a friend who sufferd from dartitis adviced me to give up fr 12 weeks  I did but since my return to the oche things have become worse I now cant let go of the dart and when I do its hitting the walls its like my strength as gone im stuttering n juping even walking towards the board when im about to release I have constant pain in my right shoulder my dart arm I dont know what to do as I love the game and dont want to give up ive tried relaxing turning lights out n chucking them anywhere in board but they either hit the wall r go out the board following flight even chucking bricks outside as someone suggested I dont know what else I can do im playing with my left hand at minute but im terrible I use 23 gram darts can you please help kind regards brian

Hello, Brian.

Very sorry to hear your story of the onset of Dartitis.

I'm also sorry to say that I haven't got any knowledgeable advice for combatting this terrible scourge.

One thing I can think  of to suggest is that you try throwing other things than darts. Balls are the first thing that comes to mind, from small hard ones like a Cricket ball or baseball to larger inflated ones like a soccer football or American football. See if you have the same experience with these other objects. If you do, schedule a visit with a physical trainer. If not, see if successful throwing of things other than darts helps to release your inability with darts.

I would also suggest that you see your physician to schedule a series of tests to determine whether or not the condition is caused by some physical or mental problem.

I wish you good luck and hope to hear that you are back to chucking your darts successfully.

Scott Harrison

Dartboard Lighting requirements and methods

Inventor of The Circumluminator light fixture purpose built for darts

American Darts Organization (ADO), Professional Darts Corporation (PDC)

BA, Georgetown University 1963 Graduate study in the Analysis of Ideas and Study of Methods, University of Chicago, 1963-1974