Data Management & Storage/Data storage & format longevity

I have two questions:
1. What is the best format to save archival documents in order to be able to access them in the future without a program becoming obsolete (e.g., *.docx (Microsoft Word); *.pdf; *.xps; etc.)?

2. What is the most stable storage device for documents with graphics (e.g., USB PNY flashdrive; USB Sandisk flashdrive; external harddrive; etc.)?

1. No question: PDF

2. Definitely a hard drive. Flashdrives are good for transferring data or making data portable, but should not be used for long term storage.

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Data Management & Storage

I have been an IT professional for over 16 years. During that time I have accumulated a large store of knowledge and experience. This allows me to assist with a large variety of technology issues. My specialty is Database design primarily with MS Access. However, I can answer questions on many different IT related topics.

I have worked in IT support for over 16 years. I have also helped people in cyberspace for a good portion of that time. I have been a volunteer staffer on Prodigy and AOL. I was the #2 ranked expert at (#1 in Technology) and am currently ranked at or near the top at and