Data Management & Storage/How do I permanently delete files?

I've heard once you delete a file it takes awhile for the PC to overwrite/destroy that file. Is this true? And if so typically how long does it take for old deleted pictures to be deleted? Thank you!

When you delete a file in windows, the file is not actually removed. All that happens is the first character of the filename is changed so it no longer shows in the file listings. The space occupied by the file is no longer marked as filled. However, when that space is re used depends on a lot of factors, it can be almost immediately or it can be months or years.

However, it usually is not easy to recover these files, especially if removed from the Recycle Bin.

There are tools that will fill the space formerly allocated to deleted files to prevent recovery. This search lists several:

Hope this helps,
Microsoft Access MVP 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Data Management & Storage

I have been an IT professional for over 16 years. During that time I have accumulated a large store of knowledge and experience. This allows me to assist with a large variety of technology issues. My specialty is Database design primarily with MS Access. However, I can answer questions on many different IT related topics.

I have worked in IT support for over 16 years. I have also helped people in cyberspace for a good portion of that time. I have been a volunteer staffer on Prodigy and AOL. I was the #2 ranked expert at (#1 in Technology) and am currently ranked at or near the top at and