Data Management & Storage/Question on cloud database management

Question

Can you please let me know details on following ?

How do cloud softwares like inventory management store data ? Do they have their own databases ? If yes, how do they manage to keep data secure to avoid disaster occurence ?

If they use 3rd party services to store data, who are the major providers?

Burning with curiosity to learn how these firms overcome data recovery incase of hardware failures.

Answer
Of course they have their own databases. As to how they are secured, there are many methods. You would have to ask someone more knowledgeable about being a DBA than I.

The major providers are Amazon'a AWS (Amazon Web Services), Microsoft's SQL Azure, and offerings from Oracle, HP and others.

These companies run huge Server farms in multiple locations with multi-fault redundancy. Data generally doesn't need to be "recovered" as the redundancy allows switchover to prevent loss.

Data Management & Storage

ScottGem