Dating at Midlife/Sexual activity with partner

Question
I am a fit, active 66 year old, have been divorced/separated for 5 years. For the last 5 or so years of our marriage no sex took place between us. Recently whilst dating a lady with whom sex was much enjoyed by both of us, on this occasion when I suggested some sexual activity, for various reasons she did not wish to participate. I would like to know why I then reacted by being grumpy and upset, displaying very little dignity and a lack of respect for her. I liken it to chucking my toys out of my pram!! It seems to me to be out of character and welcome your advice as I never want to repeat my behaviour if the situation occurs again.

Answer
Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for this very interesting and timely question. I'm in the middle of a research project and we've been interviewing couples where at least one person is over 60. As part of that process I've been reviewing the literature on how people and especially what starts to happen between 50 and 70.  

What's happened to you  is not unusual and it is a sign of the emergence of the next stage of  your emotional maturity.

Before I answer your specific question, let me give you some context for my own thinking.

The emotional maturity I speak of is demonstrated in several aspects.  First, the fact that you are much more willing to ask for what you want.  Second, and very important, the fact that when you had this surprising emotional reaction, you questioned it and want to investigate it.  You did not justify it and/or ignore it.  You took it as a sign that there were aspects of your personality worthy of being explored. At the same time you do have values and standards and you hold to them despite emotional pulls away from those standards.  It's a sign of maturity to be able to contain that kind of complexity.

Every emotional breakthrough begins with a step into greater complexity.

I know you are concerned about what you did. That speaks well for you. Let us also acknowledge that you have made a powerful step in the right direction by acknowledging and also questioning.

"What was that about?" you ask. Excellent question.

I suggest you already have several ideas that are answers to that question. I'd  start by having you start a private journal in which you expand on those intuitions.   

In my experience with people in late midlife,there is rarely one simple reason for anything.  So don't reduce your intelligence to a phrase.

You might want to look at my article on my website "How to read someones motivations like a  pro"  www.drbelove.com    and apply those principles to yourself.  Usually anger is an expression of power which has been frustrated.  It's a protest. It's as if you are saying (or your soul is saying)  "Dammit, I want this and dammit there is nothing wrong with me wanting it, and I really really don't like it when I don't get what I want. "

So my first guess is that your feelings about what you wanted were much stronger than you'd realized or than you were willing to admit.

There might also be some history of desires thwarted by people in authority, and a feeling of helpless in the fact of those external authorities.  If you have memories, you can read those memories as metaphors. It's an interesting process.

I have worked with folks from the U.K. I do it on skype. Let me know if you are interested.  Also please feel free to follow up.

Philip Alan Belove, Ed.D.
www.drbelove.com  

Dating at Midlife

Philip Belove, Ed.D.