Dating at Midlife/Why am I struggling so much ?

Question
Hi Philip

I am the "Having Trouble Moving on Person".  I have just hit a really low ebb where I really want to just curl up in a ball and avoid everyone and everything.  I can't do that, as have a job, friends and family, but I want too.  Nothing seems important at the minute.  

It is like I want to stick myself in the person that stung me alongs opinion of me and don't want to try if that is the sort of thing that is going to happen.  I feel really sorry for myself and don't feel there is anywhere that I can turn as everyone seems to think I have coped fantastically and should just move on from that heartache.  However I am down on myself that someone could lead me on that much and I fell for it and the worst bit is that I still think I feel for the guy.  Feel like I am going crazy and have no where to turn as have to keep up the coping well facade.

I just feel lonelier than I have ever done in my life.

Best regards

Answer
HI Julie,

Sorry about your pain. It's the worst, these breakups and betrayals.  There's some advice on my website, drbelove.com

It's one of those awful pains you just have to ride out. It could take you a couple years.

Writing in the New Yorker Magazine, Ariel Levy described what it was like to grieve the loss of a new born baby:

"I looked at the snow outside my window falling ... But mostly I looked at the picture of the baby.
After several weeks, I was looking at it only once a day. It was months before I got it down to once a week. I don’t look at it much anymore, but people I haven’t seen in a while will say, “I’m so sorry about what happened to you.” And their compassion pleases me."

Someone else said that grief never fully goes away because love is eternal.

Here is a video to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PK3GhnHOJc

A betrayal is pretty terrible.

right now you are grieving. If it lasts too long, it becomes depression. It might be useful to talk to someone.
I am available on Skype

I hope this helps.

Philip Alan Belove, Ed.D.

Dating at Midlife

Philip Belove, Ed.D.