Dating at Midlife/my old friend

Question
dear friend:
I am suffering a fourth episode of depression because I had a girlfriend and then I suspected she was pulling my leg. I quit her and abandon her. I am consulting a psychiatrist and taking 5 different medicines for my depression. I am seriously thinking about call her up and ask to be friend again in order to cure this enormous depression.
What do you think?

Answer
Hi.

I do wonder what your psychiatrist is doing for you beyond prescribing meds.
And 5 different ones! ?
Are you exaggerating?

I do think you have some issues and
they interfere profoundly with your ability to create and sustain
a good and loving relationship.

I would think that a woman who was more solid
would not be willing to take on the burden of being your partner.

So you are more or less going to have to have partners who
are basically no more stable than you are.

Meds will help you calms down a bit,
but they won't help you learn how to give and accept love.

For that, you might want to get into therapy

Sorry to be so harsh but that's what it all sounds like.

forgive me.

Philip Alan Belove, Ed.D.  

Dating at Midlife

Philip Belove, Ed.D.