Dating at Midlife/Do I run?

Question
Hi Dr. Belove,

Thanks for letting people like me ask silly relationship questions.

I am in a relationship with a man in his early 60s that says he loves me, but he says many other things as well.

Like:

I like where we are in the relationship
I like how the relationship is going
I am not sure when I will be ready for marriage

If I specifically ask him if he sees a future for us beyond just "dating" he will say yes that he can see it, but he doesn't know when he will be ready for that.

If I specifically ask him if he feels he is capable of being married again, he will say yes that he does, but that he doesn't know when he will be ready for that.

He has introduced me to all of his family, friends and we are together every day.  But, he continues to hold to those comments which I feel are his way of keeping just enough of himself apart from me to keep me from wanting more.  At least for now.   We have been dating for over a year now.

So, what does one do when one is ahead of the other in what they want?  And how do you stop yourself from feeling and wanting more when you spend every day with a man for all other intents and purposes acting as if you are a married couple.  But... you still live in different homes and you keep hearing "he isn't sure when he will be ready"?

I do want more... eventually.   I don't want to rush him into something he doesn't want or isn't ready for, but I am also not willing to wait forever either.  If it can't be him, it doesn't mean I don't want it to be someone.

How do I navigate this minefield?

Answer
Well the simple answer is one step at a time
You have to ask yourself what is the tiniest but significant step in the direction you want.
Send me the answer to that question and coach you further.

He has said yes, but in many ways.
It sounds like things are quite stable.
Introducing you to his family friends and social world is significant and important
a year is significant
all that counts
what is the next step.

Let me know

Philip Alan Belove, Ed.D.

Dating at Midlife

Philip Belove, Ed.D.