Dating at Midlife/Declining dates gracefully

Question
Hi Dr. Belove,

Thank you for providing advice.  It's much appreciated.

I'm a 59 year old woman.  I've had 1 marriage and 2 long term relationships in my life.  I'm no longer in a relationship and choose to stay that way.  I've really given it a lot of thought and my happiest times in life have been hanging out with girlfriends.  I enjoyed dating, but choose not to do it anymore.  Since I have no interest in a relationship, it doesn't seem right to go on dates.

My question is, how to decline offers for dates nicely without getting into too much about the reason.  People assume if I don't want to date that I'm bitter.   I'm not.  I just want to do things differently.

Thanks,
Connie

Answer
Just say you're taking a temporary break right now and it's really sweet of you to be interested but for now, you need a rest and then
say, no, I don't want to go into details with someone I've just met, sorry.
that's a vague response and reveals even less than saying, "I'm out of the relationship game,"  which is a bigger statement.
Beleive me you are not at all alone in this. Many women reach this point. Along with a collection of darkly humorous stories.  

So you give a vague reason and it's a neither yes or no, just a not now and that will probably back off the amateur psychologists.

I'll add that several of the women I know who've come to this place do maintain sex buddies but several do not.

Germaine Greer, who wrote the Female Eurich and also The Change, about menopause  said in that second book,
"I don't believe how much time and energy I wasted just trying to get laid."  She was in her 60's when she said that.

When you pass a certain age you can do life any way you want and you owe no one an explanation.  

It's good to have intimate friends to talk to.  I think a reflected life is better than one where you don't talk about
certain deep decisions. You owe some of that thinking to yourself. But not to strangers. And your friends are there to support you
and you choose them wisely.

How's that?

Philip

Dating at Midlife

Philip Belove, Ed.D.