Day Trading/re: call on min bal, selling options relay

Question
NO, not when you sell an option for a call, when you get called for low balence?  But if you can explain both, shoot.

thnaks again

QUESTION: Can you describe/explain what happens during after a call?

Following is the reason:

Hi Ron, so I understand the question. Are you wondering what happens if you sell a call option and you're called on it?

Expert: Mark Hodge

Answer
Hi Ron,

It's a little tricky without knowing the type of market you are trading. If you're trading without margin, there shouldn't be any problems if your account has a low balance when trading stocks. If you're trading with margin (borrowing from your broker), then your broker will set a minimum margin requirement that you must maintain OR you need to fund your account with additional funds or liquidate your position. If this should happen your broker would usually attempt to contact you before acting (known as a margin call), but I'd encourage you to find out from your broker the EXACT protocol and the minimum margin requirement necessary so this can be avoided.

As a rule of thumb, your broker knows best, and they're there to answer your questions!

With futures trading there is an initial margin requirement (what you need to take a position) and a maintenance margin requirement (what you need as a minimum if the value of the position fluctuates) similar to stocks but the difference is that you're not actually borrowing money from your broker. Instead this is just a "good faith deposit". The overnight margin requirement is set by the exchange but day trading margins are usually substantially lower. For example to trade 1 contract of the E-mini S&P a trader is usually required to have approximately $4500 to hold a position. BUT, many brokers offer day trading margins that are as low as $500 per contract as long as the position is liquidated by the end of the day. Similar to your stock requirements if the value of the position drops below the maintenance requirement then your broker will contact you to deposit additional funds, or require that the position is liquidated.

Since you asked...if you sell a call option, you have an obligation to deliver X amount of shares to the buyer of the option (call buyers have rights, call sellers have obligations)up until the option's expiration. They say that most options expire worthless so most of the time call sellers anticipate that this will be the case, but if the call is worth money at expiration and the owner of the option exercises their right to buy the shares, then the call seller is obligated to deliver the number of shares set by the call option. FYI - This is a scenario that's pretty easy to avoid if you are a call seller by simply closing the position before expiration.  

Day Trading

Mark Hodge