Day Trading/50 Day Moving Average

Question
QUESTION: Hello:

I recently heard someone on television say that the Standard & Poors 500 is now trading below its 50 day moving average.  Do you know what time period or range that was used on the chart for the 50 day moving average to be below the 50 day moving average?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: Hi Kenneth,

If the S&P 500 is trading below the 50 day moving average, this would be a DAILY moving average of the last 50 days.

QUESTION: Hello:

I want to thank you for the quick reply!  In using a chart to show that the Standard & Poors 500 is trading below the 50 day moving average, I need to use a daily chart. Is this correct?

I thank you for your reply and assistance.

Answer
Yes. If you're looking at the 50 day moving average then you would want to look at a daily chart.

Just for clarification, indicators are based on the open - high - low - close - and sometimes volume of a period. So if you are plotting a 50 period simple moving average and looking at a minute chart, then you are seeing an average of closing price over the last 50 periods (or minutes). If you're looking at a daily chart, the "period" used to calculate the average is going to be based on daily closing prices for the moving average.

Day Trading

Mark Hodge