Day Trading/$2 stocks

Sometimes I want to buy a large quantity of $2 stocks.
If I order 10,000 shares my broker takes quite an effort
to fill that many. (Fidelity)
    They make take two or three days to fill the order.
Are all brokers like this?
   (By the time 3 days go by the opportunities for profit change.)
Time is important.
         Is there anything else  I can do?

Thanks          Dick

Hi Dick,

I'm sorry about the late response to your question. It sounds like the bigger issue is the volume and liquidity of the stock that you are looking to trade. If you're trading a stock that averages 10,000 shares a day, YOU are the market when you're trying to buy 10,000 shares. If you're using limit orders to enter the market then it's going to take a long time to be filled unless there is enough volume and the market trades through your order. If you are using market orders to enter you could be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to your average entry price because your large order could cause the market to move higher when sellers step in to sell to fill your order at a higher price than you initially expected.

With the information I have, I would assume that this isn't a broker issue, but instead an issue with the stock you are trading (If you were trading a stock like CSCO or another Dow 30 stock this shouldn't be an issue). If you think it goes beyond this, it never hurts to contact your broker to find out how they are routing the order, and why it is taking so long. If you don't like the answer, there are plenty of other brokers willing to handle your business.

Day Trading

Mark Hodge

Questions related to technical analysis, strategies, risk, trading plans, trading psychology and money management. Experience in trading all markets and time-frames with expertise in futures (e-minis, currencies, commodities) and equity options. Unfortunately I am not allowed to offer any specific trading advice (i.e. should I go long the E-mini S&P today).

I have been involved in the industry since 1995 working for Morgan Stanley Dean Witter and American Express Financial Advisors before becoming a full time trader. As Head Education Coach with Rockwell Trading I have coached hundreds of students around the world to achieve their trading goals with simple strategies, a sound trading plan and proper money management for the leveraged markets.

Currently serving as Rockwell Trading's Head Education Coach and moderator for Rockwell's Student Trading Room where we follow opportunities in the minis, interest rates, currency and grain markets daily.

Technical Analysis of Stocks & Commodities, "Day Trading With Volatility", June 2010 SFO Magazine, "Home on the Range: Lasso Trades Without Time", August 2010 SFO Magazine, "Day Trading Indicators, Part 1", January 2011 SFO Magazine, "Day Trading Indicators, Part 2", February 2011 SFO Magazine, "Technical Strategy", April 2011 SFO Magazine, "Advanced Trading Techniques - Futures Spread Trading", October 2011 Active Trader, "A Simple Day-Trading Strategy", November 2011 Marketplace Books, How to Trade Commodities: Simple Strategies for Gold and Crude That Traders Can Use in Any Market, June 2011

Formerly licensed as a financial advisor with Series 6, 7, and 63 licenses. B.A. in Organizational Communications with a Business Minor from California State University, Sacramento.

I have worked with institutional traders, brokers, proprietary trading firms and private traders.
One of the few distinguished World Cup Advisors