Deafness/Hearing Impairment/mixed hearing loss

Question
My son just turned 7 but he began experiencing hearing loss in his right ear about a year ago. He underwent an audiometry and results suggest profound mixed hearing loss on the right ear and normal hearing acuity on the left ear. We consulted an ENT and he told us that all he could prescribe our son is that he take vitamin b.Is there any other way on how it could be treated? Is there still achance for his right ear to get well since he's still young?Is the hearing loss permanent?

Answer
Maricar,

A profound mixed hearing loss usually suggests that some of the hearing loss is treatable and the rest is permanent.  There is usually nothing to restore the permanent part of the hearing loss but often times there is treatment for the treatable part.  The part that is treatable is often treated with antibiotics and/or some type of surgery.  The most common type of surgery done on children is placing a tube in the eardrum to help ventilate the middle ear.  I'm not sure why your son has a mixed loss so I'm not sure if there are any surgery options.
If you have any concerns or questions, it is always reassuring to seek a second opinion.  If you seek a second opinion, see an ear specialist such as another ENT or an Otologist.
Thank you for your question.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.  Kelley Linton, Au.D., centerforhearing.net

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton