Deafness/Hearing Impairment/Muffled Hearing After Suctioning Ear

Hello Doctor, I have a question about muffled hearing I am experiencing. The other day my ear was itchy and I created a suction like thing with my finger to try and alleviate it but I think the suction was too strong and now my hearing is muffled and I feel a bit of pressure. Did the suction pull the eardrum outward too much? I don't know what I should do. How can I fix the eardrum if that is the problem. I really don't know what to do. Thank you for your advice.

It is very unlikely that you did anything permanently damaging to your ears.  Putting your finger in your ear probably pushed some wax closer to the drum which will cause you to feel and sound plugged up.
Start with trying to flush your ear....warm water with 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and flush gently into the ear.  This will wash the wax out.  Make sure the water comes completely out by tilting your head to the side and letting the water run out.  There are also good over-the-counter ear washes.
If this doesn't give you relief, you may want to make an appointment with an ENT or audiologist.  Either profession can look into your ear and determine what is the cause of your discomfort.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.  Thank you, Kelley Linton, AuD.  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton

I'm an audiologist in private practice in Arkansas. I graduated from the University of Florida medical school. I specialize in hearing loss; hearing rehabilitation; hearing aids; noise induced hearing loss; occupational noise exposure; OSHA guidelines and regulations; hearing protection; tinnitis; newborn hearing testing; children and hearing loss and diagnosis and etiology of hearing loss.

I've been a practicing audiologist for 20 years and have owned a private practice for 14 years. I am also an audiologist in the United States Army where I teach DOD hearing conservation regulations and manage 3000 DOD employees at an army industrial facility.

Arkansas Academy of Audiology American Academy of Audiology Academy of Doctors of Audiology American Speech and Hearing Association National Hearing Conservation Association

Journal of the Academy of Audiology Southwest Times Record, Fort Smith, Arkansas Press Argus Courier, Van Buren, Arkansas

Au.D. - Doctor of Audiology, University of Florida American Academy of Audiology fellow member Audiology Board Certification American Speech and Hearing Association certification Arkansas State Audiology license-current CPT United States Army Medical Corps

American Speech and Hearing Association "ACE" award x 7 years United States Army Accommodation Award Arkansas Academy of Audiology elected board of director x 3 years Better community award, Fort Smith, AR for volunteer audiology service to free community health clinic

Serving newborn to geriatric ages.....unable to provide specific names.