Deafness/Hearing Impairment/results of bera

Question
my nephew is been diagnosed as having mild to moderate sensory neural hearing loss by BERA at his age of 1 and half year when found to have lack of vocabulary and less responsiveness at home to his parents. he was found to have accumulation of fluid in his middle ears for which doctors have treated him with decongestant.
do you think that the result of BERA (i mean to say about its severity)will change after this as far as sensory neural hearing loss is concerned? is there any point in repeating BERA? is there any need for him to undergo MRI brain to rule out acaustic schwanoma ?

Answer
Vidyesh,
They should have ruled out middle ear fluid prior to any BERA testing.  I would assume that was done.  Fluid comes and goes very rapidly, especially in children, so it is very possible that there was no fluid during the BERA testing but there is fluid now.
I would question the doctor to verify that there was no fluid present during the BERA test.

If they can not verify that...then there is a possibility that the hearing will be better on the BERA testing once the fluid is gone.  Fluid will cause the BERA results to be elevated and will not reflect the true sensorineural hearing levels.  We certainly repeat BERA testing even as a child gets older...there are chances that a hearing loss can be progressive so routine hearing testing is necessary.  

I have not seen any incidence where an MRI has been ordered on a child to rule out Acoustic Schwanoma.  These typically develop during middle age.  They will do an MRI on a child they are considering implanting to determine any cochlear malformations.  If your nephew is in the mild to moderate range, he is not a candidate for an implant.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.  Kelley Linton, AuD   centerforhearing.net  

Deafness/Hearing Impairment

Dr. Kelley Linton